Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Generous Act

A Generous Act

By Kara Akins

Today at church I was sitting at a table with some inner city kids when a very elderly lady walked by.

One of the children remarked how old she was. When I looked up to see her my heart was taken. She had reached the age that standing up straight was not even an option. Each step she made was slow as she ebbed along with her walker. I marveled at the sight of her. To me she was so beautiful and represented a spectrum of life that we all face but rarely take the time to ponder.

I exclaimed to the children how much I loved this lady, a stranger, yet so familiar to me. I exhorted the children to love her as well. I wanted them to have the ability to recognize things that are clearly precious but so often wrongly overlooked.

I didn't realize the Lord was going to return the favor. God was planning that very day to use an elderly person to see something about the the inner city kids that many people overlook. That they, too, are precious

After church we took the children out to eat. There were 24 of us in our entire group. My husband, Jack, went to stand in line to place our order as the children and I pulled tables together so we would have a place to sit.

When Jack was in line an elderly man began to talk to him. The elderly man had seen us eating with our large group of children on another occasion. He let Jack know how wonderful he thought it was of us to minister to so many children. Jack even introduced the gentleman to me. To be honest I was surprised the gentleman could remember us.  He was very elderly, didn't seem to have good vision and we hadn't frequented that particular restaurant in weeks. His words were kind and I cherished what he said in my heart.

I went back to setting up tables and helping with drinks. As I did so the elderly man approached me again. 

"I want you to know that I really wish I could be doing the work you are doing with these children," he told me. "I really do wish I could. But the fact is I can't."

Then he placed something in my hand. I looked down and I saw what appeared to be a $10 bill. 

"I felt the Lord wanted me to give this to you," he shared.

I was again touched by his kindness.

"I will give this to my husband right now and he can use it to help pay for everyone's lunch. Thank you!" I exclaimed as I gave him a hug.

When I went to hand it to my husband I realized it was $100 bill, not $10.

WOW! 

I knew beyond a shadow of doubt that the Lord provided not only lunch for our crew of children, but that he also was providing for the desire of this man's heart. He allowed him to do exactly what he had seen us doing. Nothing complex. We just feed them. And we love them. And we see them for what they are: precious.

"But blessed are your eyes, for they see..." Matthew 13:16



Kara Akins married Mr. Jack Stephen Akins III at age 18.  She is now the mother of six children, ages 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18.  Her "7th child" is her niece, Cecily, who also lives with the family.  She has one boy in the bunch who is spoiled rotten.  Along with being a mom, she also volunteers extensively with Young America Ministries and is a speaker for the Be Still, Get Real team.

No comments:

Post a Comment