Monday, September 24, 2012

Church Daze

Let me start off by saying, this is not part two of The Ripple Effect.

I can already hear the groans of some of my family members. I'm working on it, I promise! - but I'm inspired to write what I'm inspired to write and that's just the way it happens.



When I was younger, going to church was something I dreaded.

Yes, I'll admit it. I didn't want to go - not at first. Why? It was something I was forced into doing. I had to wake up early on Sunday morning, get crammed into clothes I hated just to listen to a message that I really didn't care about for a couple of hours.

Church was a habit back then. It wasn't enjoyable, or something I spent the entire week looking forward to doing. It was a chore - and that ladies and gentlemen is definitely not what church should feel like.

I can't remember actually going to a church I liked until I was about 10 or 11; the first church that I felt I was actually learning something; the first church that made me want to learn more about the Lord. Humorously enough, it was actually my aunt Kara who found that church. She was trying to help my uncle find one to go to.

And we stuck to it.

Don't get me wrong, I still had my doubts. There were things going on in my life, and at my young age I couldn't fathom why. I was angry; I didn't know why God was doing this to me, or even if he was there - but I always went when I could because I loved hearing the Bible stories - I loved learning, and something deep down in my heart was always stirred.

I am so excited that we are starting our own church. Let me just repeat that: OUR OWN CHURCH!

I know that sometimes, especially for children whose situations are less than cheery - they only go to church so they have an excuse not to be at home. I don't blame them - when I was their age I would have wanted to be anywhere but home.

I want our church to be more than just an escape. I want it to be a place where these children feel free. I want it to be a place that learning more about our Lord causes an excitement in them like nothing else.

I want them to be able to worship as they please, pray as they please, and have their mind open to every endless possibility about God's plan for their future.


It is my heart's desire to keep these children from falling into a church daze, and I'm bound and determined to do so.

Y'all better get excited with me.






Cecily Macomber is a 20 year old college student, who trips on air and daydreams too much. She recently moved to Georgia to begin an exciting new life of ministry with her aunt, uncle and cousins,  and to grow as a servant of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment