Monday, September 3, 2012

A Place Where Things Happen




The other day as I was going to read my Bible, I randomly picked Psalm 73.  I'm pretty familiar with this psalm, and you might be too. Its basically about the psalmist questioning why wicked and ungodly people seem to have the good life.  He doesn't think it's fair, and that perhaps he's been godly in vain.



I read this knowing that in the end, he would see that their prosperity was so temporary in the light of eternity. 



Here's what really stuck out to me though. I got to verse 17, and I stopped. I read it and I re-read it.



It said, "Then I went to your sanctuary, O God, and I finally understood the destiny of the wicked."



He went to God's sanctuary, and that's when something happened. That's  when he understood. Going to God's house made a difference for him.



That's what I want. I don't want church just to be a place where I go. I want it to be place where I go and I know that I will be better off because of it.  Whether its having been able to worship God, Him speak to my heart, or give me understanding like in Psalm 73. Church is a place where things happen, and people are changed. Life's are changed.



I think that's what we're doing by starting the church - and even the tutoring - in Emma Wheeler Homes. We're giving these kids a chance to come to a place that can make a radical difference in their lives.



I think I should say that it's not actually going to church that changes anything, it's God and going near to Him. Church is just a way to do that.



Please pray with me that this church will be a place filled with the presence of God, so that like the psalmist, these kids lives will be changed.







Madison Akins is a 16-year-old college freshman who loves God and people.  She enjoys being healthy and spending time with family and friends.  She's passionate about helping impoverished children and singing (which she does all the time).  More than anything, she wants to grow forever closer to her Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment